Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Durga Puja '09 - Shosthi

The Pujas have come. Today in fact we're into the sixth day of festival. It's strange that after all these years of being out of Calcutta, the appeal of the Durga Puja still endures. The geography almost doesn't matter anymore.

Aparajita was playing the Mohaloya rendition by the late Birendra Krishna Bhadra. We've heard it so many times from our childhood, yet it's one of those things that grows on you and ages with you. Each year it sounds a bit different. Each year it evokes a different emotion. A class act - pretty difficult to replace for ages to come. For as long as there will be Durga Puja this immortal piece will keep ushering our beloved goddess to this world of the mortals.

Thoughts of last year's Durga Puja vacation are flooding the mind. It was after 8 years that I had the good fortune of being a part of the event in Calcutta. The city came alive just the same as it used to when I lived there. I guess somethings never change. And Thank God for that.

It was good to be a part of the festivities in its pristine form after such a long time. This year I'll have to satisfy myself with the abridged version that the local Bengali association in Phoenix will organize during the weekend of Oct 3-4. But thanks to the enterprise we'll atlteast get to celebrate this eternal festival of the Bongs. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment