Monday, September 27, 2010

Technical Debt

I love it when I can relate aspects of my worklife to other things outside of it. Today I came across an article in infoq which really struck a chord in those lines. Wanted to share the same. Here's an excerpt from the same:

Technical Debt is like a credit card that charges a high interest rate, just leaving the team with an outstanding balance cost. In this case, the costs are represented by time and effort needed to work around the problems. The longer the team takes to pay off the debt, the more interest is accumulated (in the form of additional workarounds) and the higher the costs for the business.

In addition, it has a real financial cost: The time developers spend dealing with the technical debt and the resulting problems takes away from the time they can spend doing work that’s valuable to the organization. The hard-to-read code that underlies technical debt also makes it more difficult to find bugs. Again, the time lost trying to understand the code is time lost from doing something more valuable.

For the full artcile read it here

No comments:

Post a Comment